In spite of having a small backyard, I am extremely proud of the pretty little garden I have curated back there. Given the obvious space crisis, I did initially face some problem in selecting the right lawnmower which could operate efficiently in my limited perimeter. But my problems got solved once a friend introduced me to the best lawnmowers for small yard which has made gardening a delightful experience since then. Enough said, let’s now take a look at the best options available:
Top 10 Best Lawnmowers For Small Yard
1. EGO Power+ 20-Inch 56-Volt Lithium-ion Cordless Lawn Mower – 5.0Ah Battery and Charger Kit
If you thought that it was impossible to bring home a gas-powered lawnmower which can operate without causing a ruckus with the noise and fume, then you need to invest in this EGOPower+ model. This cordless variant can mow 2 miles of land following a single charge irrespective of the outdoor weather condition. Industry leading arc-lithium technology helps the 56-volt battery of the EGO Power + lawnmower to deliver incomparable power. Once you are done using it, you can simply fold and store it in a compact and upright fashion which definitely comes in as a blessing in households handicapped by limited floor space. Built-in LED headlights enhance your visibility whether you are mowing at the break of dawn or late evening.
- Best in class 56-volt lithium ion battery can keep the EGO lawnmower running over a stretch of 55 minutes following a single charge.
- 20-inch cutting deck helps in manoeuvring through tight spaces while still getting the job done quickly and in a hassle-free manner.
- Push button start brings greater convenience and ease in its usage.
- Comes backed with a 5-year warranty against all manufacturing defects.
- 0Ah battery can be charged up quickly.
- Has an easy learning curve.
- Lacks the power of a gas mower.
2. American Lawn Mower Company 1204-14 14-Inch 4-Blade Push Reel Lawn Mower
You can nail a scissor-like cut time and again without actually burning a hole in your wallet with The American Lawn Mower 1204-14. This manual mower having a 14” cutting deck can easily cater to small yards covered in turf grasses efficiently. The durable parts which go into its design can keep it going strong even when subjected to heavy duty usage. This environment friendly model has next to none maintenance cost and also does not create a ruckus with its operation. Its 3-spider assembly gets the cutting reel to spin very quickly with even the gentlest of push. The ergonomically designed T-shape handle of the mower brings greater ease of usage while the plastic grips feels very sturdy even while using it outdoors amidst heavy rainfall. You can easily toggle between the three height options of the cutting reel for bringing greater versatility in its application.
- Adjustable cutting heights and 16-inches of cutting width offered by its 5-inch steel alloy rotary blades helps in nailing a precision cut time and again.
- 4-blade reel assist in its manoeuvrability over common grass types such as bluegrass, fescue, mixed weed/crab grass and rye.
- Lightweight lawnmower weighing at just 20 pounds assists in easy mobility and storage.
- Low maintenance lawn mower which does not require any oil for its operation.
- Heat-treated alloy steel blades maintain its sharpness for longer.
- Zero carbon emission and quiet operation makes it a top pick amongst all households.
- Might not be able to cut grass evenly.
3. BLACK+DECKER MM2000 13 Amp Corded Mower, 20-Inch
Gone are the days when you had to rely on a gas-powered lawn model for catering to your garden beautification needs. The corded electric lawnmower from Black + Decker comes with a 13Ah motor which assists in mulching, bagging and side discharging in a fuss-free manner. You can cut up to the edge of your flower beds and fence with its Edge Max design which can guarantee you properly manicured and clean lawns time and again. You can also select your desired height from the 7 available options for conducting convenient cutting coupled with its ergonomic handles. Once you are done using it, the Black + Decker lawnmower can be folded up for being stored in a compact manner which makes it the perfect choice for people handicapped by limited storage space.
- Edge Max technology brings greater precision in mowing along landscape borders and fences to render a perfectly manicured look.
- One-touch height adjustment assists in altering the height quickly by just pulling a single lever.
- Comes with a convenient carrying handle which assists in its manoeuvrability.
- Features a 13-gallon grass collection bag.
- 13 Ah motor has adequate power for dealing with overgrowth.
- 3-in-1 mower can cater to mulching, bagging as well as side discharging operations for varying mowing modes.
- Cord can come in its way of seamless operation.
4. BLACK+DECKER MTC220 12-Inch 20V MAX Lithium Cordless 3-in-1 Trimmer/Edger and Mower
The innovative 3-in-1 model toggles easily between mower, trimmer and edger for providing you complete versatility when it comes to lawn maintenance. This compact tool with its small footprint can serve as the ideal choice for houses having limited floor space as it seamlessly caters to yards having area of up to 1200 square feet. It can also suffice difficult-to-reach areas as well as small inclines with equal efficiency. The Auto Feed System of the MTC220 buffers it from the requirement of bumping as the cordless model having dual 20-volt MAX lithium-ion rechargeable batteries allows you to unleash its fullest potential for 5 times longer times pan in comparison to 18-volt NiCd batteries. It becomes redundant to store oil and gas with this battery powered 3-in-1 model which is compatible with 20-volt MAX line of power and gardening tools of BLACK+DECKER.
- Foot pedal release helps with quick insertion and removal of the edger or trimmer while shifting from edging to trimming or mowing.
- Dual height adjustment options at the mower desk assists in raising as well as lowering the four wheels.
- Gear-driven transmission of the 12-inch edger/trimmer doesn’t bog down while trimming.
- AFS automatic feed system assists in working continuously without having to stop.
- Comes with two batteries for increased run time.
- Lightweight ergonomic design helps with greater manoeuvrability.
- Does not have any option for speed adjustment.
5. Makita XML02Z 18V X2 (36V) LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless 17″ Lawn Mower, Tool Only
The first thing which is bound to delight you about the Makita XML02Z is its single-point height adjustment lever featuring 13 incredible settings ranging from 13/16 to 2 5/16 inches which can guarantee a neat finish to your lawn time and again. Its electric blade brake can halt the cutting system instantly without killing the motor. You can thus simply release the bailing lever for shutting down everything at once. The jolt-suppressing soft start system and twin LED power indicators are also specially engineered for prolonging the motor’s gear lifespan while ensuring a super smooth push-button startup. It also becomes extremely easy to move around the Makita XML02Z with its ergonomically designed rubberized soft-grip handle. 17” cutting width delivers optimum performance as you can run the Makita lawnmower over a stretch of 30 minutes using its dual 18V LXT 5.0Ah BL1850 batteries.
- Grass level indicator positioned atop the grass collector which can hold up to 13 gallons of grass brings along greater ease of usage.
- Lightweight lawn mower does not cause fatigue even after being used for long.
- Charge level of the 18V LXT Lithium-ion battery gets indicated by the dual L.E.D battery signals.
- Extreme Protection Technology (XPT) brings along greater water and dust resistance which is required while working in harsh environments.
- Built-in ball bearings and aerodynamic cover brings down the pushing force requirement.
- Single-point height adjustment lever features 13 different settings for greater precision.
- Has extremely delicate blade and short run time.
6. WORX WG794 Landroid Pre-Programmed Robotic Lawn Mower with Rain Sensor and Safety Shut-Off
The fully pre-programmed Landroid lawnmower has a friendly interface which assists in its hassle-free customization as well as programming. Dual independent brushless motors help it in cutting through uneven terrain and handling inclines and declines ranging up to 20 degrees in a seamless manner. The intelligent lawnmower heads back to its charging station whenever the battery levels dwindle to alarmingly low levels. It also does the same in the event of rain and resumes operation once the lawn dries down. You can easily customize your mowing schedule through its intuitive keypad to have the Landroid run 7 days a week and provide you with neatly manicured lawn which is bound to usher in compliments from your house guests.
- Pre-programmable robotic mower which can navigate through narrow passages without human intervention.
- Advanced intelligence algorithm technology adds up to its versatility for dealing with most grass types.
- Comes with built-in safety features like anti-theft alarm, PIN enabled lock and tilt/lift shutdown.
- Eco-friendly mower which can be set up and used easily.
- Intuitive mower having 5 cutting positions and max cutting surface of ¼ acre.
- Shock sensor system assists in mowing around obstacles and returning back to base for recharging and during rainfall.
- Tends to get stuck at times.
7. DEWALT DCMW220P2 2X20V Dw Lawn Mower
The brushless motor of the DEWALT DCMW220P2 can serve as your ultimate ally in trimming thick and tall grasses with its dual 5Ah 20V lithium-ion batteries which can increase torque rhetorically. Usually the lawnmower has a run time of 15 minutes. You can also gauge the remaining charge from its on-deck LED battery indicator. It is also advisable to remove the mulcher prior to mowing as that can increase run time to a great extent. The lawnmower comes equipped with a metal deck having cutting width of 20 inches and operating at five different positions for catering to cutting heights ranging from 1.5-3.4 inches which is ideal for mowing lawns having area of up to ¼ acre. You can also take your pick amongst the three grass disposal options of side discharge, mulching with a plug and bagging for exercising optimum versatility.
- High power output is generated by the dual 20V MAX batteries and powerful brushless motor.
- Single lever can be height adjusted from 1.5-3.4 inches.
- Storage and transportation becomes easy with its lift and foldable handles.
- Comes backed by a 90-day money back guarantee offered by its manufacturers.
- Handles and wheels help with optimum mobility.
- Can cater to 3-in-1 requirements of bagging, mulching and rear discharging.
- Runtime is comparative shorter than its peers.
8. Troy-Bilt 382cc 30-Inch Premium Neighbourhood Riding Lawn Mower
The382cc Auto Choke OHV engine which powers the Troy-Bilt Neighborhood Rider features 6-speed transmission and top forward speeds of 4.25 MPH. Its compact shape makes it ideal for being stored in the shed or garage. You can easily gauge the gas levels from the fuel sight window in its 1.3-gallon tank. Greater comfort stands guaranteed by its 13-inch soft grip wheel as well as the steering column which can be adjusted to your preferred height. The 18-inch turning radius offers greater manoeuvrability while the manual power take-off paves the path for fast and easy blade engagement. The lawnmower comes backed by a 2-years limited warranty which can keep you buffered from all possibilities of system malfunction which might happen during the time.
- Compact size makes it one of the very best mowers for small yard.
- 382cc auto choke OHV engine helps it in cutting 30-inch-tall grass in a seamless way.
- Features 5 adjustable settings and 6 speed transmission.
- Manual power take-off assists with easy blade engagement.
- Fuel sight window in its 1.3-gallon tank helps in checking gas levels.
- Comes backed with 2 years’ warranty given by the manufacturer.
- Bag capacity is inadequate.
9. BLACK+DECKER BEMW472ES Electric Mower 15″ Lawn Pivot Control Handle
This lightweight electric lawnmower is an absolute delight to use as it does not strain your arms even after being used for long. Its 6 height adjustable options help in cutting grasses ranging from 1 inch to 3 inches. The 10 Amp motor and winged blade assists the BLACK+DECKER model in operating with a cutting radius of 15 inches. You can thus seamlessly work on grown grass and weed without having to undergo any difficulty. The rugged wheels and pivot control handle brings along greater efficiency in the operation of this compact lawn mower which can be used even by elderly gardening enthusiasts.
- Winged blade offers 30% more clipping collection.
- Rugged wheel treads are specially designed for exercising optimum control even while cutting through thick grass.
- Push-button start brings greater ease in its operation.
- Lightweight lawnmower which can suffice as a trimmer as well as a mower.
- Compact shape makes it ideal for being used in constricted areas.
- Comes with 6 height options for offering you maximum flexibility.
- Lacks the power and efficiency of traditional lawnmowers.
10. Greenworks 14-Inch 40V Cordless Lawn Mower, 4.0 AH Battery Included MO40B410
The Green Works 40V Max System can easily cater to a small yard with area ranging up to 2690 square feet courtesy its lithium-ion battery which can keep the lawnmower tending to your gardening requirements over a span of 60 minutes. You can expect the Greenworks model to operate over 200 charge and discharge cycles before requiring a battery replacement. It also becomes easy to monitor the remaining charge time through the battery indicator so that you can keep the lawn maintenance work going in a seamless manner. A removable safety key has been included in this model for locking down the mower in place when it is not being used for preventing all chances of accidents. You can exercise complete manoeuvrability with its fold away handle and wheel which assists in using this lawn mower in even the tightest of places.
- Comes with a single rotary blade having cutting width of about 14 inches.
- Single front lever can be adjusted amongst five different cutting positions for accommodating various grass lengths.
- Has rear bagging capability for accommodating about 13 gallons of grass clippings.
- Smooth movement gets ensured by six-inch front and seven-inch rear wheels.
- 40V lithium battery makes it ideal for mowing small yards.
- Compact size helps in its easy storage while cordless build makes sure that no cord comes in your way of gardening.
- It is not self-propelled.
Things To Consider Before Selecting A Lawnmower For Small Yard
Gas mowers might seem cheaper initially but carry long term costs which cannot be seen in cordless mowers. Some of the hidden costs which might add up to your expense sheet in the long run are purchase of supplies such as stabilizers, oil, gas, spark plugs and air filters apart from the time and labour which has to be dedicated in changing the oil, getting gas and even emptying the tank. You need to be cautious about the long run cost before taking your final purchase call.
Whether you wish to promote turf health or make cleaner cuts in grass, your lawnmower needs to be adequately equipped for helping you with the same and only then can it be branded as an efficient model. So, try to align your specific requirements with the features of a particular lawnmower for making the most out of its functionality.
Ease Of Use
You need to be specially cautious about the user interface features like how to raise and lower the mowing deck or adjust the push bar height before placing the final purchase order. Having a lawnmower which can intuitively adjust and control the self-propulsion can surely serve as an added advantage. You can also look out for other design details which can reduce engine maintenance, make startup smoother and storage easier.
It becomes easier to work with self-propelled mowers as all you have to do in such a case is just throttle and steer. Gone are the days when you had to force up the full weight of the mower for every incline. The rear-wheel drive of self-propelled mowers also improves its traction as the grass bag keeps on filling for adding more weight over its rear wheels. Although self-propelled mowers can come with a hefty price tag, they are definitely worth the investment in the long run.
The lawnmower selected by you needs to be such that you can manoeuvre it easily around your backyard and even store in a compact fashion post usage. A mower ranking high in terms of durability also serves as a preferable option as it can easily take on routine wear and tear without getting lack luster.
Models offering dual-blade cutting systems can cater to wider cutting decks and mulching chippings in a better manner so that you don’t have to spend much time mowing. It is advisable to opt for a lawnmower having cutting hedge ranging between 7” to 20” for best results in small yards.
The maximum and minimum cutting heights need to be considered while buying a lawnmower apart from the amount of effort required to push it, ease of adjustment and width of the cutting swath. Mowers having trimmer and edger can definitely add up to your convenience.
Charge & Run Time
If you are thinking of bringing home a cordless variant, then make sure to bank on one using minimum 40-volt battery to provide you with adequate run time.
Although the warranty period varies from one brand to another, it is advisable to opt for the ones which can keep you covered over a stretch of three to five years for guaranteeing maximum returns.