Scared of spending a fortune on automatic lawn mowers, which cost no less than $500? Here, we have covered some of the best self propelled lawn mowers, which fall under more economic categories and help you save your money while you take care of your gardens.
Best Self Propelled Lawn Mower
1. Honda HRR216K9VKA 3-in-1 Variable Speed Self-Propelled Gas Mower with Auto Choke
This smart drive lawn mower is designed to deliver a three in one action with mulching, bagging and side discharge capabilities. Designed for ergonomic use at a domestic level, this lawn mower delivers excellent features, which you can check right here:
- Easily Flip a switch to shift between bagging and mulching features.
- Designed with a unique control for self propulsion speed which can be easily operated with the thumb. Also, can be started conveniently with a simple pull.
- Product stands at 62 x 38.2 x 23 inches and 84 pounds’ weight, which is quite ergonomic when it comes to handling and storage; variable speed of 0 to 4 mph
- The unique self propulsion switch allows easy manoeuvrability around tricky obstacles and terrains. It allows you to slow down in no time and then double back to the original stance without any delay.
- Provides multiple capabilities in one device. Easily mulch, bag and dispose with the help of a single switch that is located on the top; no hassle operation.
- Micro twin blades make the job easier and neat.
- 6 position cutting heights make it easily customizable for your needs.
- Easy grip and handling with foam handles.
- Sharpening the dual blades might be little tricky.
- Absence of wash out port.
2. GreenWorks MO40L410 G-MAX 40V 20-Inch Cordless 3-in-1 Lawn Mower with Smart Cut Technology, (1) 4Ah Battery and Charger included
If you are looking for something drives on high performance, this is the option to consider.With up to 45 minutes of battery run time, this lawn mower is more than perfect for your small to medium sized lawn. The mower involves a Smartcut technology which offers superior performance and proves to be an excellent option for self propelled mowers. Get to know about the features of the product right here
- Enriched with SMARTCUT technology for a revolutionary experience
- Multiple advantages and ergonomic usage features to operate the product.
- 40 V max system weighs 73 pounds, with a dimension of 61 x 21 x 42 inches, perfect for ergonomic operation and ease of use.
- Far less noise than most alternatives and seamless operation with no fumes, no mixing, and no maintenance requirements.
- Easy push and start option so that you do not have to take the trouble of pulling cords to get the job done.
- A 20 inch steel deck, 7 inch front wheels and 10 inch rear wheels, make it possible to operate the device with ease.
- Battery design makes it troublesome to remove and replace battery.
3. Husqvarna 22 Inch Self Propelled Gas Lawn Mower with Briggs & Stratton Engine
Bring home this gas powered, self propelled action gear which promises to give sleek cuts on your medium sized lawns with ease. Designed with a Briggs and Stratton engine, you will find no reason to reject this innovative machine, which delivers what it promises. This device is among the best for hills and sloppy terrains.Here are the best featured of this lawn mower
- Ergonomic product dimensions at 8 x 18.4 x 26.4 inches and 99.1 pounds’ weight.
- Gas powered lawn mower for enhanced drive and power
- 22 inch steel deck and Briggs and Stratton engine for added durability and ease of operation.
- Unique 3 in 1 cutting system for multiple cutting options and a clean cut.
- Unique all wheel technology for easy manoeuvrability around difficult terrain.
- Comfortable handle allows easy and firm grip on the device for standard performance at all times.
- Bagging hole might become clogged with grass, which will require removal of the bag and clearing of the hole.
4. Greenworks 14-Inch 40V Cordless Lawn Mower, 4.0 AH Battery Included MO40B410
For a versatile and light weight option in lawn mowers, we suggest going for this variant from Greenworks. It is designed for use on small to medium sized lawns and hence, includes features which make the job easier for you. Priced at a little over $200, we recommend this as a great pick for lawn mowers under $300. Here are the best features of this lawn mower which make it fall in this list
- Accompanied by a solid max capacity 4 AH 40 V Lithium battery.
- Multiple features allow bagging and mulching of grass clippings with ease.
- Provides durable and dependable performance with a single charge on most medium sized lawns.
- Efficient cordless battery operates without fumes, mixing, maintenance or pulling cords.
- Light weight and easy to handle with only 33. 3 pounds’ weight and sleek dimensions measuring 4 x 15.8 x 40.5 inches.
- The 10 inch rear wheels provide easy manoeuvrability, the single blade ensures clean cut, and the steel deck provides ample sturdiness to the device.
- Very rarely, the mower leaves out random blades of grass and does not get to them in one go.
5. Greenworks 21-Inch 40V Brushless Self-Propelled Mower 6AH Battery and Charger Included, M-210-SP
If you are looking for a lawn mower that can get the job done for you in no time, you are in luck with this one. This durable and ergonomic option is the reason why you are going to forget all your woes about mowing your lawn. Designed for a 3 in 1 use, this mower is one of the best for mulching and side discharge capabilities. Check out the features of the mower right here:
- Durable 21 inch steel deck for ease of movement along larger patches of grasses.
- Unique brushless motor design provides more torque and less noise for a long life of the device.
- Easily mulch, bag or discharge grass clippings for ease and clean operation.
- The port is designed for dual battery capabilities which allows one battery to be stored while the other provides uninterrupted cutting operation.
- Allows vertical storage so that the device can be stored in the garage without occupying much space.
- Easy push button starts and SMARTCUT technology for convenient use.
- Shorter run time of 40 minutes, which is less than other variants from the brand.
6. EGO Power+ 20-Inch 56-Volt Lithium-ion Cordless Lawn Mower – Battery and Charger Not Included
coming from the brand ‘Ego’, this lawn mower is a powerful; device, one that offers sturdy construction and performance which encompasses multiple features. The easy features of this mower make this a feasible pick under 400. Get to know the features of this one right here
- Wide 20 inch cutting capacity for vast coverage and quick operation.
- Durable, weather resistant construction for long lasting storage.
- Can be folded for compact storage.
- The device runs on a 56 V lithium ion battery which delivers fantastic performance without the noise or fumes.
- Provides 3 in 1 functions for mulching, bagging and discharging the clipped grass.
- Convenient LED headlights for operation at any hour.
- 600 W high torque magnetic motor for superior performance.
- Batteries need to be purchase separately.
7.Troy-Bilt TB330 163cc 21-inch 3-in-1 Rear Wheel Drive Self-Propelled Lawnmower
Powered by a sturdy 163 cc Briggs and Stratton engine, this is among the best options with electric start capabilities. This mower is powered with a rear wheel drive with a ready to start technology and a tri action cutting system. With a single pass, this mower is designed to deliver even and clean cut. The mower is equipped with a number of features, which you can get to know about, here
- Powerful Ready Start technology on a 163 cc branded engine.
- 3 in 1 capabilities for mulching, bagging and discharging capabilities.
- Unique 8 inch high performance wheels for greater control while mowing.
- Variable speed drive control offers four top speed options for customizable control and comfort while operation.
- Standard 1.9 bushel grass catching feature for clean and neat performance while mulching and bagging.
- Adjustable ergo handle allows easy manoeuvrability and comfort while handling the device.
- Weighs under 80 pounds with comfortable38 x 24 x 17.5 in dimensions for storage.
- Occasional problems with the ease of handling the handle bar, which might turn and bend if operated with too much force.
8. Scotts Outdoor Power Tools 60362S 21-Inch 62-Volt Cordless Self-Propelled Lawn Mower, LED Lights, 4Ah & 2.5Ah Batteries, (1) Batteries & Charger Included
If you are looking for something that fits under the budget of $500, then this is the option to consider. This powerful looking tool offers rear wheel drive capabilities with multiple features that set it apart. You get the power of a gas propelled mower in this one, which offers one of the best rear wheel drive capability. At 72 pounds, this device is better than it appears. Take a look at its features right here
- Powered by a 62 V Lithium ion cordless power supply.
- Product dimensions: 37 x 22 x 47 inches and weighs 72 pounds.
- Brushless motor for gas powered transmission.
- Ergonomic vertical storage for compact and easy handling.
- Dual LED lights for any time operation.
- Easy to use telescopic handles and offers quick fold capabilities.
- comes with a battery level indicator on the control panel and premium grass catcher with plastic top and handle.
- 3 in 1 capability for mulching, bagging and side discharge.
- Twigs and sticks of height less than 1 / 16 can jam the mower.
9. Lawn-Boy 10732 Kohler XT6 OHV, Rear Wheel Drive Self Propelled Gas Lawn Mower, 21-Inch
Your search for a convenient lawn mower under $400 ends right here. Supported with a unique rear wheel drive system, this is a great pick for hilly and sloppy terrain. This 21 inch self propelling mower is easy to handle and designed to make your mowing routine easy and simple. You are in better control of your lawn mowing with this device that offers a variety of features.
- Powered by Kohler XT6 OHV engine with a unique tri cut system.
- 3 in 1 capability for mulching, bagging and side discharge.
- 2 year no fuss warranty
- Large bag capacity for clippings so that you need not empty the bag as often.
- Two point height of cutting such that the deck can be easily adjusted for up to 2 points for easy customisation.
- 21 inch steel deck ensures durable and lasting performance for a long time.
- 11 inch high wheels ensure ease in manoeuvrability.
- Battery cover keeps falling off in some instances.
10. GreenWorks 20-Inch 12 Amp Corded Lawn Mower 25022, 20 inch
If you are looking for a mower under $200, then this can prove to be a perfect fit for you. This mower comes in built with some unique features which offer ease of use. Here are few of them
- Durable and sturdy 20 inch steel deck for strength and reliability.
- 3 in 1 capability with mulching kit, discharge option and bagging capability.
- 7 different height adjustment options, starting with cutting height from 1-1/2 to 3-3/4 inches for all grass types.
- Manual drive system starts with the push of a single button.
- Powerful and reliable 12 amp motor makes it possible to operate machine with dependability.
- 7 inch front wheels and 10 inch rear wheels allow easy manoeuvre around the lawn.
- Foldable handles allow easy grip and convenience of storage.
- Light weight and compact at 56 pounds weight.
- Does not include extension cord.
Points to be considered when choosing the best self Propelled Lawn Mower
Wondering about the features that are truly relevant and prominent while making the selection of the best lawn mower for your garden? Here are the features that you must consider when making the decision to purchase a self propelled lawn mower:
Fwd or Rwd
Front wheel drive mowers are generally cheaper than rear wheel drive mowers. It is the rear wheels of the device which are always grounded, even while making a turn around the lawn, which makes it easy for you to operate the mower.
Set vs Reliable Speed
If the speed of your mower is variable, you will be able to go faster or slower, depending on the obstacle in front of you or on the terrain of the lawn that you wish to mow. A set speed mower won’t let you do that making you miss out on the grasses.
Recoil vs Electric Start
Recoil start mowers mean pulling on cords to get your device started while an electric start mower means pushing one button to get the machine whirring. If you dread getting stuck with the cords, go for the latter option.
Wash Out Ports
It will be easier to maintain your mower if you have a wash out port. It involves simply hooking a garden hose and all the grass clippings shall be washed out in the process. This is important to keep your device new.
A blade override system keeps the engine of your device running but disengages the blades from spinning. This elongates the life span of your engine since it does not turn off and on again every three minutes.
Over time, self propelled mowers might suffer from wobbling since they are designed to operate on a straight terrain. A swivel front wheel keeps the wheels where they are supposed to be so that they do not fall off.
You can pick a number of options when it comes to self propelled lawn mowers. From under $ 200 to over $500, there are quite many options to consider but your ultimate pick should suit your budget.
When investing in a self propelled lawn mower, we suggest that you go through different reviews on the purchasing website, before making the final decision to purchase the same.
The engine built and lasting power of the battery has a lot to do with your decision to pick any lawn mower. Some variants are simply there for the sake of being there.
Charge Time and Runtime For Cordless Mowers
You won’t like running to and fro from your garage, to charge the mower over and again. Always go for an option that provides for sufficient run time and better still, dual battery supply.
These features are crucial to making the right choice of lawn mower for your garden, since they determine the ease and flexibility of use that you may derive from a lawn mower. Make the right choice by choosing the best self propelled lawn mower for your garden.
How we test self propelled lawn Mowers
Self propelled lawn mowers are tested on a variety of criteria and domains, to determine if they can prove to be a worthy investment. Since typical self propelled lawn mowers are designed to operate on straight terrains, it is important to run them over on different types of terrain to determine if they are feasible enough for your lawn. All lawns are prone to growing weeds and grasses of different types, which might prove to be difficult to uproot. The performance of the cutting blades can tell a lot about a mower’s ability to help the owner. Similarly, it is viable to test a lawn mower on the basis of its run time and lasting power of the battery, if it is powered by the same. Most small and medium sized lawns can be trimmed in under 90 minutes. Hence, the standard lasting power of the mower must meet the requirement.
How to Take Care of Your Self Propelled Lawn Mower?
Ideally, you should get a mower with a wash port, which allows you to plug in a hose pipe and get rid of the grasses and clippings stuck inside the device. Make sure that you change the motor oils and batteries in time and also take your device for service, as and when necessary.